Test Preparation Tips
Tips and strategies on how to prepare for a test.
- Preparation for your first test should begin on the first day of class; this includes paying attention during class, taking good notes, studying, completing homework assignments and reviewing study materials on a regular basis.
- Budget your time, make sure you have sufficient time to study so that you are well prepared for the test.
- Go to review sessions, pay attention to hints that the instructor may give about the test. Take notes and ask questions about items you may be confused about.
- Ask the instructor to specify the areas that will be emphasized on the test.
- Make sure you go to the class right before the test; it's another prime time for the instructor to give out more hints or the format of the test.
- Go over any material from practice tests, HW's, sample problems, review material, the textbook, class notes...
- Eat before a test. Having food in your stomach will give you energy and help you focus but avoid heavy foods which can make you groggy.
- Don't try to pull an all nighter. Get at least 3 hours of sleep before the test (normally 8 hours of sleep a night is recommended but if you are short on time, get at least 3 hours so that you'll be well rested enough to focus during the test).
- Put the main ideas/information/formulas onto a sheet that can be quickly reviewed many times, this makes it easier to retain the key concepts that will be on the test.
- Try to show up at least 5 minutes before the test will start.
- Set your alarm and have a backup alarm set as well.
- Go to the bathroom before walking into the exam room. You don't want to waste anytime worrying about your bodily needs during the test.
General Test Taking Tips:
- Test Preparation
- The Test
- Post Test
◁ Test Taking Tips Home