Open Book Test Taking Tips
Tips and strategies on how to take an open book test.
► General Test Taking Tips
- Spend an equal or greater amount of time preparing as you would for a normal test. The open book test will most likely be harder than if it were a closed book exam.
- Familiarize yourself with the book and relevant materials.
- If it's allowed, write down all the important formulas and key information on a separate sheet so you don't have to search through your book for it.
- Focus on learning the main ideas and get a feel for where they are located in the book, learn the details later if there's still time.
- Highlight important points, use post-it notes, bookmarks and make notes in your book, if it is allowed.
- Bring all the resources that your professor or teacher allows.
- Answer the easy questions that you know off the top of your head first, then go back and answer the questions where you need to reference your book.
- Use quotations from the book to support your view, but don't over-quote, be sure to give your own insight and commentary.
◁ Test Taking Tips Home